masonLogo

S5 Frontpage Display 2

Freemasonry in Middlesbrough

exteriorcutoutsm 2
Freemasonry in Middlesbrough

First took root on Tees-side when a Lodge was warranted by the Antients Grand Lodge on 2 December 1756 at the Queen’s Head, High Street, Stockton-on-Tees,
moving to the Black Lion, in 1773 and to their Hall, Masons’ Court, Stockton-on-Tees, in 1796.
The Lodge was named Lodge of Philanthropy in 1788, changed its number five times, the last being in 1832 to No. 28, but was erased on 5 September 1838.
Over the next 100 years other Lodges were founded in Hartlepool and West Hartlepool, Stokesley with the Cleveland Lodge No. 795 in 1847,now 543, and Guisborough with the Zetland Lodge No. 820 in 1849, now 561.
Middlesbroughs rapid growth over a very short period of time appears to have been through a combination of many things including the River Tees, ironstone in the nearbyCleveland Hills, the influence of entrepreneurs Bolckow and Vaughan and a workforce of industrial adventurers being readily available for regular,though hard employment.
Originally there was little regard towards health or sanitation and pay was extremely poor.
There were scant opportunities for recreation, cultural development or social niceties, as drunkenness, crime and ill health was rife.
Most people, through no fault of their own, were illiterate and had no time for education as more important on life’s agenda, was hard work, money and drink.


It wasn’t until the 14 December 1852 when the North York Lodge No. 876 (now No. 602), was lawfully constituted in Middlesbrough, meeting in an upper room in the Station Hotel, Cleveland Terrace.

On 17 May 1860 the Foundation stone for Freemasons Hall Marton Road was laid by the DepProvGM, George Marwood of Busby Hall and the first actual masonic
meeting was held there on 17 January 1861.
Other Lodges close to Middlesbrough were formed, Marwood No. 1244 at Redcar and Handyside No. 1618 at Saltburn in the years 1869 and 1876 respectively.
It wasn't until the late 1870s when a number of members of North York Lodge decided to petition United Grand Lodge for the formation of another Middlesbrough Lodge.

The North York Lodge thus became the ‘Mother Lodge’ of the Ferrum Lodge No. 1848 which was consecrated on 21 January 1880 at Marton Road.

Other Lodges have been formed over the years;

Orde Powlett Lodge 2391 in 1891
Erimus Lodge 3474 in 1910 (this has recently closed)
Peace Lodge 3936 in 1919
Vulcan Lodge 4510 in 1923
Ronaldshay Lodge in 1931
Acklam Lodge in 1946
Lodge of St. Hilda in 1948
Linthorpe Lodge in 1950
Dundas Lodge in 1964
Ashbrooke Lodge in 1997

The freemasons of Middlesbrough continued to use the Freemasons Hall in Marton Road for their meetings until 1975 when it was demolished to make way for the A66 route through Middlesbrough
A new hall was built in Roman Road and was dedicated for masonic purposes on the 10th September 1975.

 

Marton Road Pictures

imageimageimageimage
marton
marton
marton
marton

North Riding Infirmary 1860 - 2003


northriding infirmaryThe North Riding Infirmary was a fine-looking building and for over 140 years it had been well
used and admired by people of Middlesbrough and people from the surrounding area. It was felt locally
that this building was worthy of preservation as it has a very special link with the history of the Middlesbrough
area, but it was not to be as it was demolished in 2008 to make way for another supermarket.

Read more: North Riding Infirmary